Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Musky Day "Fly In" - Boulder Junction, Wisconsin 2011

Life just blows past me   
like a hurricane,
 or at least that's how it feels when I realize that another opportunity was missed to learn about somebody who had lead a very interesting life.


Robert Payzer was the latest in a long line of people I wished I could have known better.  He passed away last winter, but hopefully his Musky Day "Fly in"(Boulder Junction, Wisconsin) will go on for a long time to come.  This year his absence was celebrated by the naming of the Boulder Junction Airport to Payzer Memorial Field.

Float Planes on Boulder Lake






Float planes have always held a great deal of interest to me. I think it's the way they look, like it shouldn't actually work. Quite a few showed up this year and they make an impressive sight lined up on the lake shore.

Stearman PT-13 9 cyl. radial Lycoming
The old Stearman biplane always the center of attention of the fly in, probably has a lot to do with its great history.  Also that engine makes an impressive sight, and you can't forget the sound.

This day draws in many older planes and quite a few experimental planes, which are facinating to me in there construction. They all are built to a very high quality of fit and finish. You can learn a lot about design and function from looking them over and comparing similar features and how one designer accomplishes a task compared to another.

After all this talk about planes you would think I love to fly, nothing could be further from the truth.  I haven't been in a plane since I was about 14 years old. I just love machines.
If you would like to learn more about Robert Payzer, he made a website to catolog a bit of his history and it's quite fascinating. Go to ,  payzersplace.com







No comments:

Post a Comment